Luis Suárez, Barcelona to Atlético Madrid (£5.5m)

Related: Men’s transfer window summer 2020 – all deals from Europe’s top five leagues

The transfer story of the summer was a move that didn’t happen, but while Lionel Messi stayed at Barcelona, several high-profile teammates were ushered out. Ivan Rakitic, Arturo Vidal and Rafinha left for cut-price fees but the departure of Suárez caused the most anger – not least with Messi. “You did not deserve for them to throw you out like they did,” the Argentinian told his strike partner via Instagram.

Suárez has said the manner of his departure reduced him to tears, but it may be Barça who look back with regret. Having initially tried to dictate his destination, the club were forced to let Suárez join Atlético for a £5.5m fee made up entirely of variables. The Uruguayan may be nearly 34 but forcing out such a pivotal player was a big risk. Handing him to a title rival looks careless at best, and his explosive debut showed what he can do as part of an artful strike duo with Diego Costa.

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg, Southampton to Tottenham (£15m)

The Danish midfielder spent four years at St Mary’s but his departure caused little consternation among Southampton fans. Højbjerg impressed in spells but struggled for consistency, and was stripped of the captaincy in June after expressing his desire to leave. Having got his wish, Højbjerg has shown why José Mourinho was so keen to buy him. Nobody has completed more passes in the Premier League season, and the former Bayern academy product is building a solid midfield foundation with the improved Tanguy Ndombele. If he can maintain his strong start, £15m for a 25-year-old looks a steal.

Luca Waldschmidt, Freiburg to Benfica (£13.5m)

Project Restart has not gone to plan

It was the end of April and Juventus’s sporting director, Fabio Paratici, was talking about the upcoming transfer window for the first time: “We will have to be creative, imaginative.” He was absolutely right. More ideas, less money.

Five months have passed since then and we have just been through an extremely long and intense transfer window. It was unique because the circumstances had changed. There were some great ideas, although not all of them came through. It was a stop-start window, at times coming to a complete standstill, at others exhilarating. Above all, it was a window in line with the summer of a pandemic – it changed the world and therefore the transfer market.

Many clubs’ resources were limited by La Liga’s strict economic control and salary caps applied to every club, all of which found their income heavily hit by the coronavirus crisis. Barcelona, who on the final day of the window announced losses of €97m (£88m) over the financial year, needed to move players on and reduce their wage bill in order to bring new signings in.

Related: Premier League: the big winners and best signings of the transfer window

The Spanish giants could only get Sergiño Dest once they had sold Nélson Semedo and unable to force Ousmane Dembélé or Samuel Umtiti out or to raise greater funds on those who departed were forced to abandon negotiations for Eric García and Memphis Depay on the final day. Real Madrid have given the world the concept of galácticos but this time they did not sign a single player, determined as they were to reduce costs, stabilise and consolidate. Real were hoping for a discounted fee because of Covid-19 and maybe thought that they could sign Jadon Sancho for €90m plus bonuses in late September. “It was

Nevadans without health insurance on Thursday could begin to “window shop” for a plan on the state-operated exchange, which is offering almost double the number of plans as last year.

Insurance plans are available through the Nevada Health Link exchange to those who don’t qualify for Medicaid or Medicare or don’t have insurance through an employer.

Residents can review plan options on the exchange website in advance of the open enrollment period that begins Nov. 1 and extends until Jan. 15, a month longer than in previous years.

“Pandemics are a very bad time to be without coverage, and we encourage people to take a look at the comprehensive options on the exchange,” Heather Korbulik, executive director of state agency Silver State Health Insurance Exchange, said on Thursday.

Some residents who lost their jobs during the pandemic-caused recession became eligible for Medicaid coverage. Others who are returning to work may no longer be eligible for Medicaid, Korbulik said, noting, “we are actively pursuing these folks so that we can make sure they don’t lose coverage.”

The Nevada Division of Insurance has approved an average rate increase of 4.2 percent for plans on the exchange, which reflects increases in medical costs and the “potential impact of COVID-19,” said Insurance Commissioner Barbara Richardson in a news release this week. The average rate of increase for plans that are not part the exchange is 5 percent.

Not only rates but subsidies offered for plans will be increasing, Korbulik said. In a typical year, four out of five of those on the exchange will qualify for a subsidy, and even more people likely will qualify this year.

The insurance plans offered on the exchange are all so-called qualified health plans that cover the 10 essential health benefits mandated by the Affordable Care Act. This