Joseph Falcone, 60, formerly operated the 3G’s VINO LLC, a wine and liquor distributor based in Bethpage and Farmingdale, New York. Among other products, 3G’s distributed a single-serving wine in a sealed glass, which had previously been featured on an episode of the reality pitch show “Shark Tank,” according to a federal information.

Between September 2014 and November 2015, Falcone solicited investments and promised potential investors that their money would be used to fund 3G’s by purchasing the single-serving wine product, according to prosecutors.

Instead, Falcone used about $527,000 of those investments for his personal benefit, including to pay off the mortgage on a Florida residence and to fund his online securities trading, according to prosecutors.

“Falcone’s victims were reeled in by his ‘Shark Tank’ pitch, but with today’s sentence, the defendant is now squarely on the hook for his crimes,” said Seth D. DuCharme, acting US attorney for the Eastern District of New York. “This Office remains committed to prosecuting those who mislead the public and abuse the trust placed in them to engage in fraud against their own investors.”

Shark Tank host loses $400,000 in a scam

Falcone pleaded guilty to one count of wire fraud in June 2019. He was also ordered to pay $1.8 million in restitution to seven 3G’s investors.

In a sentencing memorandum, Falcone wrote a letter to the judge admitting to the fraud and apologizing for using business funds for his personal use.

“I took investors’ money for the purpose of investing it into a start up wine business. Then, I wound up co-mingling funds with personal funds, and using some of the investors’ money for my own ends. As the business grew, so did the expenses, and I wound up not being able to pay all of the investors back,” he wrote.

“I was wrong to do this. For this,

FILE PHOTO: Britain’s Chancellor of the Exchequer, Rishi Sunak, leaves a television studio in London, Britain, October 6, 2020. REUTERS/Toby Melville

(Reuters) – British Finance Minister Rishi Sunak will announce a local furlough scheme on Friday in which the government will subsidise two thirds of the wages of workers in pubs, restaurants and other businesses that are forced to close to stop the spread of the coronavirus, The Times newspaper reported bit.ly/33FH8yg.

“Employers will be able to access the scheme for as long as pubs, restaurants and other businesses are closed,” the newspaper’s deputy political editor, Steven Swinford, said on Twitter.

The Times quoted an unidentified minister as saying there was frustration in government at the failure of the Treasury to bring forward the measures sooner.

The Daily Mail newspaper reported earlier that Sunak was putting together a new support package for jobs in a furlough-style bailout for coronavirus hotspots plunged into local lockdowns next week.

Britain has already suffered the highest death toll in Europe and the worst economic contraction of any leading nation from the coronavirus outbreak.

Its parliament will vote on Tuesday on the imposition of a 10 p.m. closing time for English pubs, bars and restaurants, a measure the government says is necessary to tackle COVID-19, but which the hospitality industry says is destroying businesses.

More restrictions are being considered for parts of northern England, Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick said on Thursday.

Local media reported on Wednesday that Prime Minister Boris Johnson will soon launch a simplified three-tier local lockdown code.

Areas in Tier 1 will continue with the current social distancing measures while areas in Tier 2 will have a ban on households mixing. The worst-affected areas in Tier 3 will have to close hospitality.

Reporting by Kanishka Singh in Bengaluru; editing by Chris Reese

Adds COVID-19 background, remarks from minister cited by The Times

Oct 9 (Reuters)British Finance Minister Rishi Sunak will announce a local furlough scheme on Friday in which the government will subsidise two thirds of the wages of workers in pubs, restaurants and other businesses that are forced to close to stop the spread of the coronavirus, The Times newspaper reported.

“Employers will be able to access the scheme for as long as pubs, restaurants and other businesses are closed,” the newspaper’s deputy political editor, Steven Swinford, said on Twitter.

The Times quoted an unidentified minister as saying there was frustration in government at the failure of the Treasury to bring forward the measures sooner.

The Daily Mail newspaper reported earlier that Sunak was putting together a new support package for jobs in a furlough-style bailout for coronavirus hotspots plunged into local lockdowns next week.

Britain has already suffered the highest death toll in Europe and the worst economic contraction of any leading nation from the coronavirus outbreak.

Its parliament will vote on Tuesday on the imposition of a 10 p.m. closing time for English pubs, bars and restaurants, a measure the government says is necessary to tackle COVID-19, but which the hospitality industry says is destroying businesses.

More restrictions are being considered for parts of northern England, Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick said on Thursday.

Local media reported on Wednesday that Prime Minister Boris Johnson will soon launch a simplified three-tier local lockdown code.

Areas in Tier 1 will continue with the current social distancing measures while areas in Tier 2 will have a ban on households mixing. The worst-affected areas in Tier 3 will have to close hospitality.

(Reporting by Kanishka Singh in Bengaluru; editing by Chris Reese and Richard Pullin)

(([email protected]; +91 8061822801;))

The views

A field in Langland is a big step closer to making way for housing after Swansea councillors voted in favour of the divisive scheme.

Members of the planning committee disagreed strongly about the merits or otherwise of the 31-home application off Higher Lane, which had prompted nearly 1,900 objections.

Cllr Richard Lewis said he felt the council had, over the years, “done the Gower AONB (Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty) proud”.

However, he added: “But I see this as a step in the wrong direction. I think this will be the start of the end of the Gower AONB.”

The development comprises 16 affordable properties, including six bungalows. These will be a mix of shared ownership and below market rental.

The other 15 houses are to be sold on the open market to people with a proven local connection.

Other councillors argued that Gower, and the Oystermouth ward in which the Higher Lane field is located, were very short of affordable homes.

Cllr Des Thomas, who represents West Cross, said more than 90% of people attending his surgeries needed suitable housing.

He also suggested that planning applications in the Gower and Oystermouth areas “seem to raise the same objections from existing residents”.

Residents talk about the plans for the field:

He said: “We have got to remember that all the houses in that vicinity were on green fields at one time.”

Cllr Will Evans said he could see no planning reasons why the application should be refused.

The field in question has previously been earmarked for housing under Swansea’s new local development plan. It is one of six “local needs exception sites” in Gower aimed at giving local people or those on low incomes a chance of remaining in an expensive area.



a small house in the background: This is how part of the 31-home scheme off Higher Lane, Langland, will look


© Coastal Housing
This is how part of

LONDON (Reuters) – The British government launched a new employment programme on Monday aimed at helping those left jobless due to the COVID-19 pandemic to get back into work.

The Department for Work and Pensions said the Job Entry Targeted Support (JETS) scheme would be backed by a 238 million pound ($308 million) investment.

The ministry said jobseekers put forward for the scheme would have access to tailored, flexible support to quickly get back into employment. This could involve specialist advice on how people could move into growing sectors, as well as coaching on CVs and interviews.

“JETS will give recently unemployed people the helping hand they need to get back into work, boosting the prospects of more than a quarter of a million people across Britain,” said Secretary of State for Work and Pensions Therese Coffey.

A government subsidy scheme for workers on furlough is due to expire on Oct. 31 and be replaced with a less comprehensive job support scheme. Economists have warned that unemployment risks rising sharply, with the Bank of England penciling in a jump in the jobless rate to 7.5%.

The opposition Labour Party said the announcement on the JETS scheme was too little, too late.

“By the government’s own admission at least 4 million people could lose their jobs during the crisis. All it can muster in response are piecemeal schemes and meaningless slogans,” said Jonathan Reynolds, Labour’s policy chief on work and welfare.

He said the new scheme relied on already overstretched work coaches on the ground.

(Reporting by Estelle Shirbon; Editing by Daniel Wallis)

Copyright 2020 Thomson Reuters.

Source Article