Personal Finance Insider writes about products, strategies, and tips to help you make smart decisions with your money. We may receive a small commission from our partners, like American Express, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective.
- You can open a BMO Harris (Member FDIC) bank account at one of over 500 branches in nine states, or online from around the US.
- BMO Harris is a good brick-and-mortar bank, but if you’re looking to bank online, you’re better off with an online-only bank that pays higher rates.
- The bank pays higher CD rates than most brick-and-mortar banks, but you’ll need $5,000 to open an account.
- See Business Insider’s picks for the best CD rates »
Is BMO Harris the right fit for you?
|You might like BMO Harris if you …
||You might not like BMO Harris if you …
- Live near a branch, OR are comfortable banking digitally
- Are looking for low or no monthly fees
- Have $5,000 to open a CD or money market account
- Want a money market account that comes with paper checks and a debit card
- Don’t live near a branch, AND you’re not comfortable banking digitally
- Want to earn high interest rates
- Are worried about overdraft fees
- Can’t afford the opening deposits for CDs and money market accounts
The bottom line: BMO Harris is a solid option if you want to bank in person, but you can find other online banks with better interest rates and lower minimum deposits.
- Over 500 branches in 9 states, but you can open an account online nationwide
- Waive $5 monthly service fee if you maintain a $100 daily balance, OR are under age 25
- Interested compounded daily, paid quarterly
- FDIC insured
- Low minimum opening deposit of $25
- No monthly maintenance